© José Caldeira / “Cor de Burro Quando Foge”, by Margarida Garcez, interpreted by Bruno Freitas, Joana Cunha Pinto and Susana Vilar / Palcos Instáveis
Palcos Instáveis/1as Obras is a project which encourages the emerging contemporary dance making.
Creators from many different settings are challenged to propose new works to develop through Palcos Instáveis. The selected proposals will benefit from a grant for creative purposes, artistic residency at Instável, artistic counselling, production support and presentation at Teatro Campo Alegre.
A cycle of performances promoted by Instável and coproduced by the Municipal Theatre of Porto that, since 2012, has supported over 100 new performances.
- Choreographers from the city of Porto and Northern Region that have already developed some work in the dance area and who have presented at least 3 works (when applying to Palcos Instáveis);
- Emerging creators in the city of Porto and Northern Region who are still developing their first works (when applying to 1as Obras);
- Foreign creators who are applying together in cocreation with people who are within the above.
Performances that haven’t yet premiered will be favoured. We will only consider the projects that have not yet been presented in Porto until the date of the performance in Palcos Instáveis.
We will not accept projects whose final product will be “work in process” or “open rehearsals”.
Conditions ensured by Instável / TMP
- Rehearsal space at Instável – Choreographic Centre, Teatro Campo Alegre (according to availability);
- Artistic counselling;
- Presentation space at Sala-Estúdio at Teatro Campo Alegre;
- Participation in a production course provided by Instável (aimed at young creators);
- A grant of 1900€ (in Palcos Instáveis) or 950€ (in 1as Obras), needing receipt;
- Payment of licences of representation, age classification and copyright;
- Technical equipment and support (according to the theatre’s availability);
- Advertising support;
- Theatre team on the day of the presentation;
- Presentation integrated in the programmation of the Municipal Theatre of Porto.
Applications are currently closed.
To apply, you will need to send the following:
- Project description, synopsis, artistic intentions, research;
- Artistic file;
- Expected duration of the presentation;
- Primary budget;
- Images/video links (of the project in the application or previous projects).
There will be 8 to 12 selected proposals to be developed and presented between April 2023 and April 2024, in an average of 9 performances per year.
During the years of 2023-2026, Instável will be dedicated to working and exploring a different theme each year, integrating it in its various activities. In 2023, the transversal theme will be regarding Audiences and the development of more meaningful relationships with them, both with final Audiences and Professionals from the area. In the year of 2024, the line of work will focus in the relationship between Art and Environment, and the contribution to the dance sector for better environmental sustainability. Projects that centre one of these themes in its artistic content or production processes will be favoured.
The projects who apply can encompass other sources of funding, except for other support from the Municipal Theatre of Porto or the City Hall of Porto.
The proposals will be evaluated by an element from Instável, an element from the Municipal Theatre of Porto and a guest external jury.
We reserve the right to not select any proposal.